Tufts University-Ballou Hall, Medford, MA
Ballou Hall, built in 1852, has special historic significance to Tufts, being the first campus building. Named after its first president, Hosea Ballou it is considered to be the physical and academic heart of the University, originally functioning as a combined classroom, dormitory, faculty and administrative building - all under one roof.
The Coolidge Room was the original campus chapel, and over the years had many uses. Today it serves as a gathering place for Trustee meetings, the President’s Cabinet, Department Chair Meetings, and numerous university wide functions.
The project includes updated HVAC and air conditioning. A new audio visual system, and indirect lighting with controls for the varied uses were installed. An adjacent kitchen was renovated, as well. A new color scheme was developed, fireplace mantels replaced, and moldings enhanced with multiple color ranges. Many of the antique furniture pieces were refurbished and paintings restored. A custom carpet was installed, and new draperies soften the oversized windows. Uniquely designed tables can be linked together for full trustee meetings, or split apart into smaller groupings arranged for departmental gatherings or receptions.