Tufts University-Fletcher School, Medford, MA
Tufts University commissioned R E Dinneen to develop a multi-phase, multi-year Facility Master Plan for the Fletcher School. The goal was to upgrade and envision new facilities consistent with the schools highly-regarded and expanding international reputation.
The school includes Cabot Hall (1979), Goddard Hall (1890) and Mugar Hall (1960 + 1979) and contains 104,000 sf of academic space. The 2-story space within Cabot Hall is used for receptions and is a focal point for students and alumni. R E Dinneen supported fundraising initiatives, and presented the final Master Plan to the Board of Overseers, who immediately ratified its implementation.
As an outcome of the successful Master Plan, a 2-phased, comprehensive renovation ensued. This includes re-organization of the Ginn Library, infilling an obsolete courtyard to create a state-of-the-art, tiered seminar room for 55 people. A new plaza with entry and study commons replaces the recessed entry, turning Mugar Hall into one of three entry portals to Fletcher and leads to the Ginn Library for day and night use by students, faculty and staff. The exterior of the building was cleaned and new energy efficient windows installed. Interior renovations include significant code upgrades, building system improvements, ADA compliance, new finishes and energy efficient lighting. Other features include: improved pedestrian circulation pathways that connect discontinuous spaces, new signage and way-finding, the creation of the Fares Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies, re-arranged departments, new faculty offices and classrooms, a renovated Edward R. Murrow Center for smaller seminars and colloquia, new auditorium and student study areas, and improved technology and audio-visual capabilities throughout.