Smith College-Lilly Hall, Northampton, MA
Lilly Hall was the first building on the Smith College campus dedicated to teaching science to women. Built in 1886, it occupies a prime site in the original campus quadrangle. With its Gothic style, prominent gables, tower, and powerful massing, Lilly Hall is part of a grouping of similar institutional structures.
Smith College recognized the historic significance of this structure and sought to comprehensively renovate the building to meet the programmatic needs of its most recent occupant, the School of Social Work. Exterior renovations include the development of a handicapped accessible entrance, removal of unsightly fire escapes, full historical window replacement, slate roof repairs, and preservation of the masonry façade. The interior received MEP/FP upgrades and renovations, new central air conditioning and the removal of all window units, the addition of an interior fire stair and elevator, new finishes throughout, upgraded restrooms, and a reconfigured interior layout to accommodate the new use.
“Preserving Lilly Hall’s architectural integrity and returning it to its grandeur is wonderful. The windows, now in their original style and openness, have added so much natural light. The faculty love their new offices, and the conference rooms are sought after by everyone including the Trustees who frequently come here for committee meetings.”
Dean Emerita, School of Social Work
Awards: Northampton Historical Commission Award of Merit