MIT President’s House-Cambridge, MA
Designed by W.W. Bosworth & Assoc. and built in 1916, the President’s House was part of the newly relocated campus from Boston to Cambridge. As such, it has always been considered a landmark befitting of special historical significance to the MIT community.
The somewhat austere Italianate residence is 15,000sf and contains two floors, a basement and a penthouse. The second and third floors were used as the President’s private residence, with the first floor and gardens reserved for entertaining dignitaries, visitors, educators, and students.
The scope of work includes creative resolution of handicapped accessibility. A new exterior ramp was designed, sensitive in scale and closely matching the existing materials. When you enter the foyer, a 3-stop elevator was added by utilizing an existing closet. Extensive building system upgrades include: modifications to the HVAC system with the addition of relative humidity and air conditioning, electrical, sprinkler and life safety upgrades. The interior was fully renovated and restored to accommodate small to large gatherings. Exterior renovations include partial window replacement and building envelope repairs.